October 23, 2023
260 Commercial St.
Provincetown, MA 02657
Special Town Meeting
Monday, October 23, 2023
The Provincetown Select Board has called a Special Town Meeting on Monday, October 23, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium at Town Hall located at 260 Commercial St. to act on Town Warrant Articles related to housing as well as other important items.
There are many important Articles to be discussed and voted on, but the main reason the Select Board called this Special Town Meeting is for voters to consider the purchase of properties at 22, 22R, and 24 Nelson Avenue for future housing development.
Additionally, there are Articles on the Warrant to establish a General Bylaw related to Short-Term Rentals (STRs) that would prohibit STRs in dwelling units owned by a corporation and another Article that would create a limitation on the number of STRs an owner may register to operate to two dwelling units.
The following is a brief overview of the 14 Town Warrant Articles:
- Article 1. Prior Year Bills.
- Article 2. Establish a Provincetown Municipal Airport Enterprise Fund.
- Article 3. Establish a Receipts Reserved for Appropriation Ambulance Fund.
- Article 4. Funding for Motta Field Design Development & Construction Documents.
- Article 5. Capital Funding for Transfer Station Trash Trailers.
- Article 6. Eversource Easement for Transformer at Police Station on Jerome Smith Road.
- Article 7. Capital Funding for 3 Jerome Smith Site Readiness and Preparation.
- Article 8. Acquisition of 22, 22R and 24 Nelson Avenue for Future Community Housing Development.
- Article 9. Declaration of Surplus of Property Located at 26 Shank Painter Road and 15 Browne Street.
- Article 10. Declaration of Surplus of Property Located at 288A Bradford Street.
- Article 11. General Bylaw Amendment – Prohibitions Related To Short-Term Rental Of Residential Properties.
- Article 12. General Bylaw Amendment – Prohibitions Related To Short-Term Rental Of Residential Properties – Additional Regulations.
- Article 13. Zoning Bylaw Amendment - Ban on Fractional Ownership.
- Article 14. Zoning Bylaw Amendment – Accessory Dwelling Units.
The Town will hold a Special Town Meeting Forum on Wednesday, October 18, 2023, to present information about the Articles on the Special Town Meeting Warrant and answer questions from residents. A Special Town Meeting Booklet with explanations of each Article will also be published and made available to residents ahead of Special Town Meeting.
The Town of Provincetown’s legislative body is a Town Meeting open to all registered voters of the Town. Any person may attend a Town Meeting, but only registered voters of the Town of Provincetown may vote. The deadline to register to vote in the October 23, 2023 Special Town Meeting is Friday, October 13, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.