As a resident of Provincetown do I qualify for any tax relief?
As a resident of Provincetown, you may qualify for a tax exemption. An exemption releases an individual from the requirement to pay all or a portion of his/her property tax obligations. Exemptions may be available to those individuals that meet the various requirements in the following categories:

Surviving Spouse, Minor Child, or Elderly Person

If you are a surviving spouse or minor child who owns and occupies the property as your domicile, or if you are at least 70 years old and have owned and occupied your property as your domicile for at least five years and have assets, excluding the value of your domicile, of less than $40,000, you may qualify for an exemption of $274.00.

Elderly Person

If you are over 65, have assets (excluding the value of your domicile) below $40,000, if single, or $55,000, if married; have been continuously domiciled in Massachusetts for at least the 10 preceding years; and have gross receipts of less than $20,000, if single, or $30,000, if married, you may qualify for an exemption of $1000.

Blind Person

If you are declared legally blind with the MA Commission for the Blind as of July 1, you may qualify for a blind exemption of $500.

Disabled Veteran/Surviving Spouse

If you are a disabled veteran, you may qualify for an exemption of $400.

Surviving Spouse/Minor Child(ren) of Police or Firefighter Killed in the Line of Duty.

This provides a full exemption of taxes assessed. Please contact the Assessors' Office for further details.

Senior Volunteer Work Credit ($750 or $1000)

You must be at least 60 years old and own property in Provincetown. It is not required that you be domiciled in Provincetown. You must provide volunteer services to the Town and will be credited for said services at a rate consistent with the State's minimum wage. As of August, 2016, the minimum wage was $11.00/hour, which equates to 68 hours or 91 hours of service. All hours must be completed in the same calendar year. The exemption amount is $750 (68 Hours) or $1000 (91 Hours). No partial credit is given. Contact the Council on Aging, 26 Alden Street, 487-7083, for further details.

CPA Exemption

Moderate Income Seniors: If you are a Provincetown homeowner age 60 or older, you may be eligible for an exemption from your Community Preservation Act property tax surcharge if you meet certain basic criteria and do not exceed specific income limits.

Low Income Households: Homeowners under the age of 60 may also qualify for a CPA exemption if your annual gross household income does not exceed specific limits.

Income limits for both Moderate Income Seniors & Low Income Households are published each year by the Assessor's Office, available after the Final/Actual Tax bills are mailed.


In all cases, you must establish residency and property ownership to be considered for a tax exemption. You must also reapply for the exemption each year

Go to: Exemptions & Deferrals Page

Show All Answers

1. What is the Fiscal 2024 tax rate?
2. How do I change the mailing address on my tax bill(s)?
3. Why is the former owner's name still on my tax bill?
4. How often do assessments change?
5. There has been a change in ownership. How do I correct the names on my tax bill(s)?
6. What is personal property tax?
7. I sold my property last year. Why am I still getting a personal property tax bill?
8. As a resident of Provincetown do I qualify for any tax relief?
9. I am a senior citizen who does not qualify for the elderly exemption. Do I qualify for any other assistance?
10. I no longer own this motor vehicle or have moved out of state. Do I still have to pay this bill?
11. I sold my boat. What should I do about my boat excise bill?